Thursday 3 September 2009

A golden age of....shite

They say, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity', and. and an ad works if it gets people talking about it, good or bad. As Mr Burns said, 'I disagree'. There's a plethora of awful stuff out there are the moment, such as:

Glade-"I want to do a poo..."
Remember-it's wrong to beat kids that ain't yours.

Volvic-"The Volvic Challenge"
What to say about this one. Words fail me. I don't want to post anything that may incriminate me at a later date.

Spar-"The S Factor"
The one on the radio is possibly worse. I like Spar, but not any more. Londis or Centra it is. The genius behind this masterpiece is Oliver Callan, aka 'Nob Nation'. How apt.

Guinness-"To Arthur"
Cop on. You can't get drunk enough on Guinness to engender the kind of bonhomie that ad implies.

Vodafone-"Mission Red"

Listen Vodafone (Chris), your mission is to stop dropping my calls while in am on the M50. Never mind this crap.

Vodafone-GAA/Sean Boylan
Such trite BS.

123.ie-"Ivan Answer"
Again, their radio ads are probably worse, but this is guaranteed to be muted. Just was well it's animation based-you wouldn't want to put a human face to this sort of evil.

There are many, many more (any ad on Comedy Central, any ad for ringtones, any ad for laser hair removal or laser eye surgery, pretty much any ad on the radio), but I can't find the videos so I won't bother linking to them. For now, I leave you with this gem from Bill Hicks:

Anybody in advertising or marketing should just kill themselves. Seriously

3 comments:

  1. Spot on man. You forgot the Dairy Milk one with stupid kids and their eyebrows (what the fuck has that got to do with chocolate?). The golden age of ads is gone although the Yorkie "it's not for girls" campaign seems to have made a welcome return. Anyway I better get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jesus, I had forgotten that bloody Cadbury ad. They are also responsible for this shite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRVx4c9RBU

    Right, they're on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as I watch the ads during the Ireland game, I see the new Yorkie 'It's not for Girls' ad, I see it contains girls playing football.

    You take that back Eoghan!

    ReplyDelete